Capital Art Gallery with a Focus on “The Beauty of Washington

40 Massachusetts Ave., N.E., Union Station Street Level, West Hall #152, Washington, D.C. 20002-4285, (202) 289-9882-Gallery, (703) 995-0841-FAX, E-Mail: CapitalArt@Verizon.net , Web Site: www.CapitalArt.wikispaces.com
  • Last Revised: May 12, 2008 11:28 am

Arlington Memorial Bridge connects Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Virginia, with the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C. across the Potomac River. The eastern end of the bridge marks the western edge of the National Mall. The bridge's construction was authorized by Congress on February 24, 1925 and formally opened on January 16, 1932. Designed by architectural firm McKim, Mead and White, the neo-classical bridge is 2,163 feet (660 m) long. The bridge connects, both literally and symbolically, the Lincoln Memorial and Arlington House, the home of Robert E. Lee. This placement was done intentionally to represent the reunification of the north and the south. At the western terminus on Columbia Island, the bridge and its connecting roadways connect with the George Washington Parkway and with State Route 27 and State Route 110. At the eastern terminus, the bridge and its connecting roadways connect with Constitution Avenue, Independence Avenue, the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway, and the District of Columbia segment of Interstate 66.

All photographs are copyrighted. No reuse allowed without written permission from Xiong (Tom) Tan.

Web site is under construction; additional photographs will be periodically added..


L_M_00005A-Thumb.jpg
LM00005A

........
LM00006A-Thumb.jpg
LM00006A